I received a vinyl wall decal from DecDecals of the quote “Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort” – Theodore Roosevelt at no cost for testing purposes a little while ago. Although I am currently not at my own place I was urged by the company to test the product right away. Here are my thoughts.
- The style of the text of this quote is gorgeous. I wish it was something I could keep long-term.
- The vinyl decal took about thirty minutes to install which is shorter than having to paint a wall but longer than I expected.
- I found it odd that the clear sheet used to remove the vinyl from the paperback was not already on and I personally had trouble lining up the two pieces. I have used vinyl stickers before for my computer and the clear sheet was always already installed.
- This process takes A LOT of scraping. You have to scrape when you put the clear sheet on the letters and again on the wall, and you have to do this for each piece in detail or the letters will not come off the clear sheet and onto the wall.
- This process can also be hard to align properly on a wall. Mine ended up a bit crocked. If you are a perfectionist you’ll have to use a yard stick or tape measure to make sure your alignment is correct (this will add in additional time).
- These products are also a one-time only use, if you want something that you can reuse you are better off to get a picture framed.
After this process I emailed the following suggestions to the company for improvements:
- Have the clear film already over the decal and already pressed on (scraped) so that when someone goes to lift it the letters come of easily.
- The clear film I had did rip while I was trying to get it off the backing. Having a little tab on the corner would be helpful for lifting the clear film and keeping it from ripping.