An author assistant is an individual who provides services for an author or authors exclusively. Author assistants come in a variety, much like the authors they work for. For example, an author assistant may be:
- a virtual assistant (working virtually only),
- a personal assistant (working directly by the author in a physical location), or
- a mix of the two.
Unlike a normal virtual or personal assistant, author assistants specialize in working with and for authors.
Author assistants each have different skills they specialize in. I work with my authors on tasks usually under one of two categories: administration and marketing. On the administration side: sending information about the authors/books to those who request it, updating websites, organizing spreadsheets, mailing out prizes, and pulling sales reports. On the marketing side: reaching out to reviewers, creating book jacket copy, running launch teams, and creating newsletters.
One of the most important things when looking for an author assistant is to make sure he or she provides the skills you need.
When considering hiring an author assistant, first take into account your main goal. Once you have your main goal down check to see if your goal matches the drive of the service provider so you can pick the right option for you. Author assistants are focused on getting authors more time to write, and although in many cases this can lead to better sales, that is not the main focus of working with an assistant.
- If you are looking mainly to increase sales, you need a marketer.
- If you are looking to increase visibility, you need a publicist.
- If you are looking for more time to write, you need an author assistant.
Are you are feeling overwhelmed with the work piling up? Are there things you know you should be doing but you don’t have the time without sacrificing sleep or writing time? Are you willing to delegate your work? Do you have funds you can use to pay for help? If you are saying yes to these questions it may be time to consider hiring an assistant.
I’d love to help you on your publishing journey. To learn more about how I can help please click here.
- Kobo Writing Life episode 49 – Kate Tilton (podcast)
- Wish you had a few extra hours in the day? Hire an author assistant! | BadRedhead Media
- Are You Stressed Out? Overwhelmed? Maybe You Need an Author Assistant | The Book Designer
- Interview with Author Assistant & Speaker Kate Tilton | A New Look On Books
- Kate Tilton Interview (Author Assistant Interview) | All Kinds of Writing
- Hiring Author Assistants (video) | SlushHeap
- What You Want to Know About Author Assistants | Kate Tilton, Connecting Authors & Readers
- Ask An Author Assistant: Your Questions Answered | Kate Tilton, Connecting Authors & Readers
- A Day in the Life of an Author Assistant | Kate Tilton, Connecting Authors & Readers
- Author Assistant, Kate Tilton #k8chat | Back Porch Writer
- #IndieChat – Author Assistants and How to Request Reviews for Your Book from Bloggers | Bibliocrunch
- Help! I need an assistant stat – Interview with Kate Tilton | Indicated TV
- Lets Talk Kate Tilton | Lets Talk
- Is it Time to Add an Author Assistant to your Team? | The Author Biz (audio)
- Interview with author assistant Kate Tilton | The Writing Piazza
- Overwhelmed As An Author? How To Work With Virtual Assistants With Chris Ducker | The Creative Penn (video)
- Want To Spend More Time On Your Writing And Tired Of Doing It All? A Virtual Assistant Can Help | The Creative Penn
- Is it time to hire an author virtual assistant (VA)? | BuildBookBuzz